Council Sees Presentations On Ordinance

Council hearings on April 15 and May 20 will be followed by forums where officials will answer questions from the public.

Roger Waldon, Chapel Hill Planning Department director, and members of his staff focused on major issues during the first in a series of presentations about the working draft of the town's proposed development ordinance.

The presentation, which aimed to inform the council members and encourage questions, focused on three of nine articles in the draft and outlined the proposed ordinance's basic provisions, including zoning and watershed protection changes.

Proposed changes regarding properties that fall within the town's resource conservation districts, mostly areas that lie near water, received much attention. Issues surrounding resource conservation districts include stormwater management and water pollution.

"Stormwater management is not a very sexy topic, but when you find the Eastgate area flooded it becomes pretty serious," council member Dorothy Verkerk said, referring to water damage that took place in 2000 after a storm caused flooding near the Eastgate Shopping Center on East Franklin Street.

Verkerk said the current ordinance was put in place in 1984 when the town had a much different view of its direction and now needs to be modified. "It is good to update the ordinance because in the '70s and '80s the community was focused on cul-de-sac neighborhoods and lots of driving," Verkerk said. "Obviously now we have new concerns and goals for the future of the town."

There also will be council hearings April 15 and May 20 to cover the remaining articles. The council hearings will be followed by public forums where the town staff will make a similar presentation to citizens and be available to answer their questions and address their concerns.

Tuesday night, the Planning Department held a public forum for members of the community to voice their opinions on the proposed ordinance.

The next two forums will be held at 7 p.m. on April 18 and May 21. In addition, a public workshop will examine the ordinance at 9 a.m. on May 11.

On June 3, members will have a chance to receive feedback from citizens at a council hearing. Town Manager Cal Horton said he believes the council and community will be prepared to give direction to the town's consultant for preparation of a final draft June 10. "This will be a busy spring for all of us as we debate this ordinance," Waldon said.

The council originally began working on developing a new ordinance in fall 2000. The first draft was completed during spring 2001. The tentative deadline for approving a new ordinance is Sept. 18.

Council member Mark Kleinschmidt said, "Our goal is to have a final draft by the end of the summer and have the new developmental ordinance in place by the fall."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.