CUAB Celebrates the Oscars in Style

CUAB is putting together an Oscars event Sunday at 7 p.m. with food and movie trivia as well as viewing.

And that's exactly what the Carolina Union Activities Board is aiming for.

At 7 p.m. Sunday, when the real awards show gets under way in Los Angeles' Kodak Theatre, the Great Hall will host its first Oscar party.

The event is co-sponsored by CUAB and the Residence Hall Association. Jai Jennings, chairwoman of the Film Innovations Committee, said she and various groups are working to pull everything together. She said she is excited about this event.

"We ordered a real red carpet," she said. "We were like, 'We've got to make this thing big!'"

Instead of simply showing the Oscars on the big screen, the committee will use the commercial time to play trivia games like "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" with the attendees, offering movie-related rewards for the winners. Those making the most accurate Oscar picks will win prizes as well.

There will be free food -- everything from chicken wings and strawberries to pizza and chips. Couches and chairs from all over the Union will be transported to the Great Hall to create a lush yet relaxing atmosphere.

Jennings pledges that everyone, no matter their party style, will find something suitable for their tastes.

"You can dress up if you want," she said. "If you want to just lay out on the couch, you can do that too."

This year is the first time the film committee has put on a program like this. The committee was previously responsible just for scheduling weekend movies in the Union Auditorium. Last semester, the committee planned events like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" to break out of their mold.

The newly diversified film group is working hard to create an atmosphere for the Oscar party evocative of the glamorous awards show itself and hopes the success of this event will ensure more in the future.

Jennings lobbied for events like these when she was interviewed for the position of Film Innovations Committee chairwoman and thinks the diverse events have helped raise CUAB's visibility on campus.

"I think a lot more people know about the movies this year than they ever have before," she said.

And knowing about the movies nominated for this year's Oscars will certainly be an asset on Sunday.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.