DTH Editor Candidates Announce Plans

Kellie Dixon, Alex Kaplun and Kim Minugh, all juniors with three years of experience working for the DTH, have submitted their applications for editor.

DTH Editor Katie Hunter said she is anticipating the outcome of the race.

"I'm really excited that the editor selection process is getting under way," Hunter said. "I'm looking forward to seeing who is chosen."

An 11-person committee, consisting of four DTH staff members and seven at-large students, will spend several hours interviewing the candidates Saturday.

The committee then must vote, debate and revote until at least eight members agree on which candidate to confirm as the 136th editor of the DTH.

Janet Gallagher-Cassel, general manager of the DTH, said having competition for the post encourages the candidates to try to distinguish themselves from each other and gives the committee more to work with.

"I think it's great that we've got three people running," Gallagher-Cassel said. "It puts pressure on the selection committee to ask good questions and to really work to make a good decision."

All three candidates say they are eager to improve an already successful publication and agree that competition is important to the selection process.

Editor candidate Dixon, who serves as editor of the City Desk, said vying for the position alongside two of her colleagues is difficult for her but promising for the future of the DTH.

"Regardless of who is chosen, each of us has the ability to make a big impact. Each of us is capable of doing a good job," she said. "That makes the race both more and less stressful."

Kaplun, who serves as State & National Desk editor, said becoming editor of the DTH has long been a goal of his, and he is looking forward to new possibilities for next year.

"I think it's good that three qualified people are running because it gives next year's editor a lot of good ideas to consider," Kaplun said.

Minugh said she wants to make the jump to editor from her position as managing editor to give back some of what the DTH has given her.

She also said she is excited about the group running.

"No matter how it turns out, the DTH is going to be under great leadership," Minugh said.

Hunter said overall, she is pleased with the field of competition.

"I feel sad that the year is coming to an end, but I'm excited to see such strong candidates coming forward."