Group Chooses Senior Class Gift Artist

Suh, who is internationally known for his works of public art, was chosen from a pool of 11 candidates who presented their work to the gift committee.

Senior Class Gift Chairwoman Reida Lawrence said Suh's interview on campus in February revealed that he is right for the job. "We were very impressed with him getting a feel for the University so quickly," Lawrence said. "He is going to create something very, very powerful for the University."

The gift committee has commissioned Suh to design and create the Unsung Founders Memorial, a work of public art that will honor the men and women of color who helped physically build the University campus.

The memorial was one of three senior class gift ideas proposed by the class officers and marshals.

A majority of seniors voted to have the memorial erected as their gift.

Lawrence said the gift committee will be in contact with Suh during the next few months to discuss the concept and design of the memorial.

She said she hopes that work will start on the project in the fall and that it will be finished by summer 2003.

"He is an extremely busy and fairly sought-after artist," Lawrence said.

"We were lucky he even took time to interview and accept the job."

Lawrence said that a location has not yet been selected to build the memorial and that the senior class is still working to raise another $15,000 for the gift, which has a projected total cost of $80,000.

In the meantime, a sample of Suh's work is on display at the Ackland Art Museum until April 7.