Justice Speaks With Law Students

But Gene Nichol, dean of the law school, said the event provided students and faculty with a unique opportunity.

Thomas' scheduled speech encountered opposition when five black faculty members decided to boycott the event and drafted a letter Feb. 28 stating that Thomas has "set back the quest for racial equality and social justice in this country."

Wednesday's event was not open to the public or the media, and law students who bought tickets to it were required to e-mail questions for Thomas to Nichol prior to the event.

"Justice Thomas said that he would like to come and speak to students, and he did so in a very open and accessible way," Nichol said. "I think it's a pretty remarkable experience to be able to have a candid discussion with a Supreme Court justice about his work, and clearly this was an opportunity to do that."

Thomas also attended several classes at the law school throughout the day.

But first-year law student Jennifer Grossman said that when questions asked at the speech hit on controversial issues, Thomas simply urged the audience to read his opinion on the subject.

Grossman said she attended the speech because she was curious to hear what Thomas would speak about but left dissatisfied. "I'm a little disappointed," she said. "He likes to skirt issues, especially the most controversial ones."

Students in attendance said some of the issues Thomas did not directly address included affirmative action, age discrimination and women's issues. "He didn't propose any solutions," Grossman said. "I wanted to witness him speak and hear his views, but I didn't really get to hear them much."

Jeremy Smith, a first-year law student, also said Thomas could have been more specific in his responses to the questions. "He hedged on some of the issues," he said.

But Nichol said Thomas certainly responded adequately to the questions students submitted. "If they didn't like the answers, well, that's part of a discourse," he said. "I think he did a very strong job."

While Grossman said she was disappointed overall, she said she was impressed with the maturity her fellow law students displayed by not following the lead of the professors who boycotted by protesting or staging a walkout.

But students said they agreed with some of the points raised by the professors in their letter.

First-year law student Neil Bagchi mentioned an issue raised in the faculty members' letter, which is that the last three justices to speak at UNC have been conservative -- Sandra Day O'Connor, Antonin Scalia and now Clarence Thomas. "There are a lot of people who weren't very supportive (of Thomas speaking at UNC)," Bagchi said. "In light of our goals to be a liberal, public institution, I'd like to have the other side."