Memorial Hall Delays Face-Lif

The building's most recent significant renovations were in 1931, but it is now set for a $15 million overhaul.

After the renovations, the University will be able to host events that would otherwise not be possible because of Memorial Hall's cramped conditions, said Amy Brannock, director of Arts Carolina.

"It will be a better experience for the audience and the performers," she said.

Construction will begin May 30 and will last 18 to 24 months, said Priscilla Bratcher, director of principal gifts for the University's Office of Development.

The building has undergone no significant renovations since its reconstruction in 1931, but it is now set for a total overhaul. "The audience will be incredibly more comfortable," Bratcher said."There will be more restrooms, which are totally inadequate now, and elevators so you don't have to walk up those slippery marble stairs."

The building also will get a larger stage, new seats, air conditioning, dressing rooms and storage space. "The quality of acoustics and the patron experience will be much improved," Bratcher said.

Bratcher said the majority of the renovations will take place inside the building, including the addition of lobbies on either side of the stage. "The architects have designed (the new additions) to really blend in with the way it looks now," she said. "From the outside it will just look like a slightly wider building."

The renovations will cost $15 million, with $1 million coming from state planning grants, $9 million from the $3.1 billion higher education bond referendum and $5 million from private gifts. Bratcher said the University is still seeking $650,000 from private donors.

She said local restaurants are helping the fund-raising campaign. For $5,000, participants can purchase nameplates on seats at the restaurants, with the proceeds going to the Memorial Hall renovations.

Participating restaurants include Il Palio, Carolina Crossroads, Spanky's Restaurant, The Grill at Glen Lennox, and Four Eleven West.

"We are looking to anyone who would like to see a more comfortable and appropriate setting for (events in Memorial Hall)," Bratcher said.

The renovations have caused some problems in scheduling future performances. Krisi Young, president of the Carolina Union Activities Board, said the last production in Memorial Hall is set for April 20. This year, CUAB has sponsored Lewis Black and Joycelyn Elders' speeches in Memorial Hall. George Stephanopoulous, Lesley Stahl and Gov. Mike Easley also have spoken there.

Student groups also frequently hold performances on Memorial Hall's stage.

CUAB and other groups will have to plan their events around the renovations, Young said, using Carroll Hall, the Union Auditorium, the Great Hall in the Student Union and Hill Hall as possible alternative venues.

"We'll have alternative types of programs that might not be able to hold as many people but will still be able to provide quality entertainment."