Men's Swimming Competes At ACC Championships

Virginia won the first four events of the night to take a commanding 126-point lead at the Campus Recreation Center Natatorium. The three-time defending champion Cavaliers won five of the six events to take control after the first day of competition.

After Virginia (284), UNC and Georgia Tech are tied with 158 points each while Florida State is in fourth (120), followed by Clemson (119), Maryland (93), NC State (61) and Duke (2).

In the night's first event, Virginia made an early statement by capturing top honors and setting a Maryland pool record in the 200-meter freestyle relay. The Cavaliers placed first with a time of 1 minute, 19.78 seconds, just edging second-place Florida State (1:19.98).

UVa.'s Ian Prichard finished first in the 500 freestyle with an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 4:16.41. It marked the second straight year that Prichard has won the 500 freestyle and the sixth straight season that a Virginia swimmer has won the event. Georgia Tech's Shilo Ayalon (4:21.90) and Michael Malchak of Maryland (4:24.48) finished second and third, respectively.

In the 200 individual medley, Virginia's Bo Greenwood set a new ACC, conference-meet and pool record with a NCAA automatic qualifying time of 1:46.20 to capture first place. Georgia Tech's David Laitala (1:47.98) finished second while UVa.'s Guy Yimsomruay (1:48.05) came away with third.

Luke Anderson of Virginia was the winner in the night's fourth event, the 50 freestyle. Anderson finished first in a time of 19.92, just in front of North Carolina's Kevin Erndl (20.08).

On the 1-meter diving board, Louis Gagnet of Florida State won the event with a score of 309.40.

In the final event of the night, Virginia continued its night of dominance by winning the 400 medley relay (3:14.37). Georgia Tech placed second (3:16.44) while Clemson finished third (3:17.59).