N.C. Medical Board To Rule on Resident

According to a notice made public by the board Wednesday, Michael Anthony Lapaglia, a 30-year-old resident in psychiatry, improperly communicated in November with a 16-year-old girl admitted to the adolescent psychiatric ward.

The board presented Lapaglia with the two charges Feb. 25.

The report states that Lapaglia "presented himself to (the patient) as a psychiatrist and ... engaged her in conversations during which he disclosed information about his private life."

The board also charged that Lapaglia contacted the patient by phone multiple times after her discharge from UNC Hospitals.

The report also states that on Jan. 24, Lapaglia tested positive for marijuana use after a drug screen.

Lapaglia did not return phone calls Monday.

UNC Hospitals spokesman Tom Hughes said Lapaglia, who was hired in June, remains a resident at the hospital but is not allowed to see any patients. Lapaglia's resident contract with UNC expires June 30.

"(Lapaglia's) status is still a resident and will remain so until the board matter is resolved," Hughes said. "We are aware of the allegations and are cooperating with the board."

While the board officially conducts an investigation and possible subsequent hearings, Hughes said UNC Hospitals will take a limited, but important, role in the process.

"Once we became aware of the allegations, there has been very close supervision of (Lapaglia) ever since," he said.

N.C. Medical Board Director of Public Affairs Dale Breaden said that after charges are filed against a physician, they usually are presented in a hearing. From there, Breaden said, Lapaglia could lose his license or face other sanctions by the board, including dismissal from UNC Hospitals.

Once charges are filed against the accused, they have the chance to file written responses to the charges or they can decide to forfeit their own license, which eliminates the need for a formal hearing, Breaden said.

Breaden would not discuss specifics of the case, including who filed the charges, and did not specify whether Lapaglia has responded to the report.

But he said disciplinary actions concerning resident physicians are "not rare but not frequent."

Hughes said it is ultimately up to the medical board as to what action, if any, is taken against Lapaglia.

"It is completely the board's decision as to whether or not he will still have a license, so this is really just a wait-and-see situation for us."