Night Parking Proposal Will Greatly Increase Campus Safety Threats

In response to Monday's article about the UNC student who was sexually assaulted, I would like to say that now, more than ever, we should realize the importance of safety on campus at night, which will be even more of an issue next year if students are forced to pay $122 for a night parking permit.

The article presents information saying the victim did not use the Point-2-Point and that she walked alone on campus. However, the important issue is not whether she was walking alone or not, but the fact that the assault should never have happened in the first place because all women should be able to walk home at night without fear.

Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world because our society, and more specifically, our campus, prevent us from being able to have this freedom at night. As women, we cannot even walk back from the library without being aware of the risks of walking alone at night. Although most males can walk home from a night class or a meeting at any time of the night without fear for their safety, women do not have this luxury.

Since we do not live in a completely safe environment, night parking permits would greatly increase safety concerns. Unfortunately, many people will not be able to afford night parking permits. More importantly, we should not have to pay for our safety -- yet sadly enough, that is what we will be forced to do if the plan is passed.

I believe that the administration must consider all aspects of student's safety, especially women's safety. After doing so, I do not see how the committee can realistically charge us so that we can be safer. Furthermore, in light of the two recent sexual assaults on campus, the administration should take active steps to improve safety on campus by increasing security and by offering more transportation services late at night. The administration cannot stand by any longer and must face up to the fact that sexual assault does happen on this campus and that this issue is very real.

Melissa Messer

Sophomore

Psychology