Not Knowing About Future Isn't Wrong

Much to the frustration of my parents, I have no desire to graduate, get a "real" job, and move on to the "real world."

(As if what I'm doing right now isn't real.)

I'm not constantly looking for internship opportunities, summer job offers or connections to build my manifesto of potential career paths.

At this point, I don't plan on going to law school, medical school, or any other professional-type "pave a successful future" school after undergrad.

Right now, I'm content just being here.

I go to class, learn what I can, work until late at night, have good conversations with friends or acquaintances until even later at night and spend time reflecting on whatever suits my fancy.

People around me talk about their upcoming internships, MCATS or LSATS.

Am I the only one who just isn't sure what she wants to do with the rest of her life but is kind of content just being here for now?

It's some kind of shortcoming or even a social stigma to be a college student and not know exactly what you want to do with your life.

Everyone tells you that this is the time in your life to try new things and see what you're interested in.

But at the same time, if you're not pre-med and you really do intend to take a semester off during school or a year off after graduation, people around you are disappointed, as if you really care anyway.

I told my parents over Winter Break that I was going to take an extra semester and graduate this December.