Other Sports Teams More Deserving of Fans Than Lady Tar Heels

Some people just don't "get it."

In the public release March 7, the women's basketball was anything but grateful. They were flat-out whining about what they didn't have; what they feel they "deserve." They weren't "asking." They were demanding and shaming: "The Duke fans really outdid you at this tournament." Guess they'll provide a free bus and free tickets next year as abatements.

They see their glass as half-empty. And until they publicly announce that they are grateful for the spectators they do receive, they will continue to see their glass half empty. "Hey, why don't we get as many spectators as the men's basketball team? The men's football team? The Super Bowl? The World Cup?"

I have seen a UNC women's basketball game. Matter of fact, I've also seen Coach Hatchell scrimmage her team against a men's IM-Rec team in practice. And you know what, I left before it was over both times because they just don't capture enough attention. They just are not that appealing. The biggest difference in men's and women's basketball is speed of play, a derivative of gender. The haymaker dunks of the likes of Jerry Stackhouse and Vince Carter are icing on the cake!

Know who is appealing and grateful? I saw the UNC women's lacrosse team bomb Virginia Tech last year and then salute the two dozen fans that did show up and cheer them on after the game. Made me want to come again.

Wanna see a UNC team that'll make you ooh and aah like it's the Fourth of July? Catch the UNC gymnastics team and all their flips and acrobatics. I guarantee it.

To anyone who wants to cheer for a UNC team because it's a women's UNC team: Check out the fencing team, the golf team, the softball team, the tennis team and the rowing team. I'm sure they won't whine that they only get a 2,000 average for home events. And oh, only one team plays on campus so be sure you have a car handy. Never heard any of the other 23 sports shame and demand about not getting more support than they deserve.

Who "deserves" student support? Who's "asking" for support? Who is grateful? Rather than searching for a bar that'll show the women's basketball team over a more exciting sport, Saturday you were more likely to see me supporting the men's lacrosse team or the baseball team or the men's and women's track and cross country teams, in person where they could actually hear their supporters and show their gratitude.

Bill Gouin
Carrboro