Residents, Town Council Review Ordinance

Groups went over specific aspects of the development ordinance, including parking issues and structure size.

After a brief introduction, residents and council members split into four groups to discuss various aspects of the ordinance, which was last overhauled in 1981.

Each group had tracing paper and maps of "typical" neighborhoods they could redesign. Council members and members of the town development staff were on hand to answer questions and offer feedback. Town Planning Director Roger Waldon said the meeting was intended to work on problems in the ordinance and get input from residents rather than to set ideas in stone.

"Rough ideas are OK," Waldon said as the small groups were getting ready to present their ideas.

"Today's session has resembled more of a brainstorming session."

But the main concerns from each group centered on the same issues -- parking and structure setbacks.

Many residents had complaints about UNC students parking in yards and on the streets. "For some reason they think the front yard is a place to park a car," said Joe Capowski, a Westwood resident. "If you pile five cars in the front yard of a house and repeat the process, you change the neighborhood totally."

But residents had mixed reactions to creating a maximum number of parking spaces for single family homes.

The proposed maximum is two spaces per single family house, while the old ordinance had no maximum.

Residents said many families have three or four cars for parents and their children, making the proposed parking space limit unfeasible.

"The problem is that not everyone is a student," said Chris Belcher, one of the small-group facilitators from the town development staff. "You're trying to restrict them because they're ruining our neighborhoods, and that's not true."

The groups also expressed concern about structures being able to be built out to the side property lines.

The old ordinance required structures to be 11 feet from the side property lines, which prohibited structures from touching. "With these different setbacks, it drastically changes the size of the houses," said John Hawkins, another group facilitator. "You can build out to your lot line."

Many residents were also concerned about preserving the look of their neighborhoods because the new ordinance would allow bigger homes to be built in their areas.

"It really strikes me that the change in the minimum lot size and the radical change in the setbacks is an open invitation for developers to come in and radically change the face of Chapel Hill," said Rudy Tuliano of Chapel Hill. "It's like saying, 'Come get us.'"

Residents, such as Elizabeth Ryan of Coker Hills, said they were afraid of "mansionization" ruining their neighborhoods. "It's very subjective to say you can't change the style of a neighborhood, but (house) size and setbacks are more concrete," Ryan said.

"I'd hate to see the nature of these beautiful neighborhoods change."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.