Robertson Program Names Chairmans

Former UNC Provost Dick Richardson, who helped start the Robertson Scholars Program, will lead its board.

Former UNC Provost Dick Richardson was recently appointed as the chairman of the External Advisory Board committee for the Robertson Scholars Program.

The board has not met yet but will serve in an advisory capacity to the scholarship program, which is in its first year. The membership of the 13-member board has yet to be determined.

The Robertson Scholars Program is a joint scholarship at UNC and Duke University in which students participate in a variety of programs and eventually take classes on both campuses.

Eric Mlyn, the Robertson Scholars Program director, identified Richardson's knowledge of the program as a key factor in his appointment.

"Richardson is the perfect person to serve as chair of the advisory board," Mlyn said. "Having helped establish the program during his time as provost, he brings a thorough understanding of the program. He also brings experience, energy and humor."

Richardson served as UNC provost from 1995 until 2000. During his time as provost, Richardson helped plan and develop the Robertson Scholars Program.

Richardson said he was honored to be appointed to the new post.

"This is one of the most exciting new programs on campus at either university," he said. "As chair of the advisory committee, I will do all I can to help and support students in the program."

Richardson said the first meeting of the advisory board will take place April 29 and said the board will meet at least once every semester.

Mlyn said the advisory committee will serve as the board of directors for the program. He said the committee also will mentor and interact with the scholars themselves.

Thirty students -- 15 from each institution -- are chosen to participate in the program each year.

The scholarship is funded by a gift from Julian H. Robertson Jr. and his wife, Josie. The first class of Robertson Scholars enrolled at UNC and Duke in the fall of 2001.

Robertson Scholars are chosen from the overall admissions pool at both UNC and Duke.

Richardson and Mlyn both said the first class of participants is impressive. "The Robertson Scholarship Program has been a great success thus far," Mlyn said. "The collaboration and cooperation of the two institutions has been far beyond what we hoped for."

Mlyn said he wants to improve student awareness of the program in the next year as well as educate students about cooperative features between UNC and Duke that are available to students who are not Robertson Scholars.

"We hope to make students at both campuses more aware of programs such as the inter-institutional agreement and the fare-free buses running from UNC to Duke," he said.

Richardson identified his main goal for the program's future as establishing and maintaining a tradition of excellence. He said, "We hope to develop extraordinary leaders in public service at both the national and world level."

The University Editor can be reached at udesk@email.unc.edu.