Spillman Named to Succeed Newcomb as Attorney General

Junior Amanda Spillman, who is currently managing associate attorney general, was chosen March 8 to succeed Attorney General Brad Newcomb, Newcomb said.

"I am still technically the student attorney general, but I gave her the keys to my office, and she and I are consulting on everything," said Newcomb. "She's pretty much doing the job now."

Spillman's duties will include investigating alleged violations of the Student Code and deciding if there is enough evidence to warrant an Honor Court hearing.

She and her associates will also represent defendants charged with violations of Student Code.

Spillman said she is now concentrating on learning the computer system and making sure the transition goes smoothly.

But soon she will be working toward some bigger changes.

"My top priority is increasing overall efficiency," Spillman said.

She said she also plans to increase faculty involvement in Honor Court procedures and has been discussing ways to reach that goal with her associates.

Spillman said these goals were especially important in light of ongoing efforts to reexamine the Honor Court system.

Spillman has been approved by Student Body President Justin Young, and her appointment must now be confirmed by the Student Congress' Rules and Judiciary Committee and by the full Congress.

"Typically, though, that's just a pro forma --