Student Ralliers React to Decision

The board approved Wednesday an 8 percent systemwide increase for in-state students and a 12 percent systemwide increase for out-of-state students. The board also approved campus-based tuition increases at schools throughout the system, including a $300 increase at UNC-Chapel Hill.

The systemwide increases will largely fund enrollment growth within the UNC system but could be repealed if and when the N.C. General Assembly provides full funding for enrollment expansion.

The students, some carrying signs with statements like "Free as Practicable, Keep North Carolina Educated," packed the board room and listened quietly as the BOG debated tuition.

Some students burst into applause when board members brought up the importance of keeping tuition low or outlined opposition to tuition increases.

The students, mostly student leaders from universities across the UNC system, had mixed reactions to the board's decisions.

UNC Association of Student Governments President Andrew Payne, a nonvoting BOG member, said the meeting was a success for students.

"I'm glad that the board recognized that it's the General Assembly's responsibility to fund enrollment growth," he said. "We knocked $100 off the price. Anytime we can save cash, that's a good thing."

A proposal to raise the campus-initiated tuition increase at UNC-CH to $400, the amount originally requested by the UNC-CH trustees, was defeated in a 13-13 vote. According to BOG procedure, a tied vote results in a defeat of the measure.

Payne said he is also impressed with the number of students that showed up for the meeting and the number of campuses represented.

"It's not easy for students to come from Western Carolina (University) or from UNC-Wilmington," he said. "I think it sends the message that students are involved and interested, and in the end, everyone comes out on top."

But most other students said they are disappointed by the board's actions.

UNC-CH Student Body President Justin Young said he is angry at the two-fold tuition increase the board approved.

"With 12 percent for out-of-state students and then to top it off with $300, it's so ridiculous," Young said. "At a time when financial leaders should be united ... this is really going to be divisive."

Matthew Hofer, a freshman English major at UNC-CH, also said the board should not have passed two tuition increases at once.

"Obviously, I don't like the fact that we got the first increase, and then they followed up with the second increase," he said.

Roberta Hansman, a N.C. State University biochemistry and marine science double major, said she is most angered by the justification members gave for supporting tuition increases.

"I was disappointed that a lot of the (BOG members) were saying 'If we don't do this, the General Assembly will anyway,'" she said. "I don't think they should be in (their) position if they're not going to vote the way they feel."

Hansman said she is still disappointed about the increases. "I was glad that they went back and voted it to $300, but I'm still upset that it's a big chunk of money."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.