Students Unite to Take Back the Night

"I feel really amazing," she said, as students and community members aimed to fight sexual assault Wednesday night.

An annual event sponsored by Advocates for Sexual Assault Prevention, "Take Back the Night!" gathered a multitude of students and community members for what many called an empowering evening promoting nonviolence.

Organizers said this year's event took place with help from the Orange County Rape Crisis Center and the Carolina Women's Center, kicking off this month's Women's Week events.

After one sexual assault victim lent her perspective to the slowly growing crowd in the Pit, activists took to the street.

Battling a persistent rain, marchers were encouraged to make uproarious noise as they held candles and walked from the Pit to Franklin Street.

Many alternated between blowing whistles and chanting messages, while others cheered -- one man even chose to play his flute. At one point, the group stopped in front of Starbucks Coffee on Franklin Street and blew their whistles for 17 seconds to convey the statistic that every 17 seconds a woman is raped.

Onlookers gazed at the activists as they marched; some even joined in the chants. Passing cars honked to show their support.

But all of those participating said they were drawing attention not to themselves but to the need to end sexual violence. "It really brings it to the surface for us. ... We have a right to feel safe at night and for women to get together and take a stand," Pratt said, as she held a sign that read "Women Unite -- Take Back the Night."

The demonstration transcended gender, however, with a rich mix of men and women taking part. Sophomore David Bennett said the male turnout was encouraging. "For any man that's out there committing these crimes, there should be about 10 men trying to stop it," he said.

Kindl Shinn, a junior and ASAP co-chairwoman, said that as a spectator her freshman year she was so inspired by the event that it drove her to become involved. Shinn helped organize the gathering Wednesday and said before the march that she was impressed by the immense group of students that came out to support the same cause.

"I definitely think the turnout has gotten larger every year," Shinn said.

The group paused in front of a blue emergency light in Polk Place before finishing the last -- and decidedly loudest -- leg of their march back to the Pit.

Junior Laurie Randolph said she was proud of what the group accomplished. "I think this is so symbolic of women saying, 'I'm not going to take it anymore.'"