Terrorism Concerns Affect Students' Travel Plans

College students are still traveling, but domestic and continental destinations are more popular this year than in years past.

Mark Phillips from the Chapel Hill office of STA Travel said there has been a decline in international travel booking this year.

He said travel to Europe, the Bahamas and Jamaica has decreased, noting that preference is now given to continental and domestic travel.

"Florida and cruises are a lot more popular this year," Phillips said.

Mike Lee from AAA Travel in Durham also said travel to Europe is down.

But he emphasized that college students are not a major part of AAA Travel's clientele.

Lee said this year, Alaska is a popular domestic destination, while Italy is the most popular European destination.

But he said traditional college destinations like Cancun, Mexico, have not been affected much, as college students are still interested in escaping to warmer climates for Spring Break.

Matthew Cornelius, a junior English major at UNC, said he was somewhat apprehensive about traveling abroad for Spring Break after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"The thought is there, but not enough to deter travel," Cornelius said.

He plans to travel overseas this Spring Break to Edinburgh, Scotland, and said he is no more scared to travel this year than any other year.

"I'm a fatalist. If something is going to happen, it's going to happen," Cornelius said.

But there are several safety precautions that students should follow when vacationing abroad over Spring Break. The U.S. State Department suggests these travel and safety tips:

-