Women's Basketball Disappointed in Carolina Support in Greensboro

We sat in awe at the Greensboro Coliseum this weekend. We were not in awe of the amazing basketball being played, or the fact that the ACC was celebrating its 25th anniversary for women's basketball. Instead, we were awed by the fact that the Tar Heels were in the ACC championship game, and there was no student support. Aside from the band and friends, our student base at this tournament was zero. However, we did manage to fill a small section with family and former players, which paled in comparison to the Duke University crowd. The energy coming from their fans matched the kind of energy felt at a men's game.

While one basketball team has struggled this year, another team's success has gone unnoticed. In comparison to other ACC schools, our student support ranks as one of the lowest for women's basketball games. You all missed out on a chance to support a winning program at an ACC championship game! We realize that you all do not respect our game, but for those of you who have seen us play, you know that we are an incredible team. We want and need support from our own students. It amazes us that 20,000 people can pile in the Smith Center on any given night, yet the turnout for our home games has averaged 2,000.

Had this been a men's ACC championship between Duke and Carolina, we guarantee that you all would have gone to any lengths to get tickets; you would pay any price. Why don't we get that same support? We thought that Carolina was supposed to out do Duke in everything. The Duke fans really out did you at this tournament.

The Lady Tar Heels

Women's Basketball