Access, Safety Crucial Issues For Parking

What if the campus atmosphere changes at night? Will fewer visitors attend Memorial Hall concerts and visit our libraries? Does Chapel Hill becoming more exclusive matter?

And what unsafe measures would UNC community members resort to in avoiding another parking fee?

In sending administrators' proposal for a $122 night parking permit fee back to the chancellor and his staff at last Thursday's meeting, the Board of Trustees should keep these issues, as well as others related to the quality of campus life, in mind.

The administration must find a way to replace a $2 million shortfall in the Department of Public Safety's coffers, as well as cover $265,000 in administrative costs. Student members of the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee recommended the University raise student fees by $5 each semester to cover the $2 million shortfall, but administrators rejected the plan when the unforeseen administrative costs surfaced.

But now the administration is back to the drawing board, searching for money and a way to retain campus life at night -- and fast, in time for the annual parking permit allocation by DPS.

Suddenly, that student fee proposal might start to look more attractive.

But whatever option the administrators adopt, issues of accessibility to campus for students, faculty, staff and visitors must be kept in mind.

As campus parking spaces become more valuable, the danger of the UNC community becoming more exclusive increases as well. TPAC has prioritized student, faculty and staff access to campus over community visitors. More paid visitor parking lots are planned to hold visitors accountable for use of University services.

Student Body President-elect Jen Daum said she hopes to find a parking proposal that protects everyone's safety while primarily giving access to students, faculty and staff. "It's a balancing act between realizing that the campus and the community outside are not mutually exclusive but also realizing that the people who do need to come here -- faculty, students and staff -- are kept safe and have primary access to the resources on campus," Daum said.

Junior Asha Rangaraj, a public policy major, said she was not a big fan of the administration's night parking proposal because she will be commuting from off campus next year. "It's going to be a lot more hassle to come back in the evenings," she said. "I think it really isolates people."

Student Body President Justin Young said campus access is definitely becoming more exclusive.

"Don't shut any student out because fundamentally we need to be here to learn," he said. "But for a community member who is trying to gain access, it's tougher to weigh access."

As UNC struggles to build a comprehensive mass transit system in the midst of Master Plan construction, University community members seek parking wherever possible, sometimes at the expense of their safety.

Continuing education student Joyce Reyes comes to campus twice a week for classes. Reyes pays $10 a week to park in the town-run Rosemary Street lot before she moves her car to a safer University lot at 5 p.m.

If a $122 night parking fee were charged, Reyes said she would rethink taking classes at UNC, both for safety and financial reasons.

"Keeping safe, free parking at night keeps people from taking chances on Franklin Street, Rosemary and the periphery locations," Reyes said.

Reyes said she is concerned about what students will do to avoid the potential fee. "It very much encourages women to take too many chances unintentionally," she said.

During last Thursday's BOT meeting, Trustee Stick Williams even expressed concern about visiting his daughter, a student, at night, as well as the public's access to UNC.

When a trustee is concerned about finding a parking place, you know UNC has accessibility issues.

The administration has to find the least expensive night parking option, keeping in mind that campus accessibility is invaluable.

Columnist Katy Nelson can be reached at knelson@email.unc.edu.