Agencies Brace for Cuts, Likelihood of Layoffs

Easley asked each department to plan cuts between 7 percent and 11 percent. If cuts of 11 percent are required of most state agencies, more than 1,400 jobs could be lost. But not all the positions on the chopping block are currently filled.

Some agencies, including the N.C. Department of Public Instruction and the UNC system, have not finished making their budget plans. The UNC-system plan is expected to be completed later this week.

Amanda Wherry, Easley's assistant press secretary, said budget cuts are only proposals at the moment. She added that nothing will be implemented until Easley submits his own budget proposal and the N.C. General Assembly approves next year's budget.

Some legislative budget writers have already headed back to Raleigh to start working on the budget for the 2002-03 fiscal year. Last week legislative leaders said that state agencies might need to brace for $1.2 billion in cuts. The full legislature convenes in late May.

According to the agency proposals, the biggest impact of the cuts would be the loss of jobs.

Johanna Reese, public information officer for the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, said the agency does not want to cut jobs but added that sacrifices must be made given the state's current economic problems.

"We're worried about anyone getting laid off, but we recognize the severe budget problems," Reese said.

The department has proposed cutting 134 jobs, 79 of which are filled.

Reese said the department has tried to help prepare workers for the possibility that they will be laid off.

"We sent a message out to all the workers," she said. "All state workers are very aware of the possibilities."

Reese said the department's budget proposal also calls for cutting back on other expenses such as travel, purchases and printing.

Pam Walker, the public information director for the N.C. Department of Corrections, said the agency is preparing to make serious cuts but added that it still has time to make final decisions. The Department of Corrections proposal involves laying off 554 people.

"We'll wait until the budget is voted on," Walker said. "(This proposal is) very preliminary. The governor's budget hasn't even even come out yet."

Walker said department officials do not want to make the cuts but thought it was their duty to inform employees that they might lose their jobs.

"The secretary sent out a letter to all employees," Walker said. "No one wants this to happen, but we have to tell (the workers) that it's a possibility."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.