Aldermen Face Affordable Housing

She bemoaned the town's high property taxes. She expressed concern about older residents being priced out of town. And she worried about gentrification.

"All we're going to get is people who look like us," said Smith, who is white.

The board took no action Tuesday, but its discussion on the issue of affordable housing -- and later discussion on the town's meager budget for next year -- drew visible emotion from Smith as she addressed the board.

At a public hearing held earlier in the meeting, the board debated a change in the town's zoning that would allow additional affordable units in new developments on the condition that a certain amount is planned.

The provision, termed an "affordable housing density bonus," already applies in four zoning districts, but the change would apply the measure to an additional 13 districts.

Much of the public hearing centered on the constraints of the ordinance, including the requirement that property owners keep the units affordable for 100 years.

But 100 years of affordability could scare off potential developers.

"It limits the amount of equity that the home buyer can amass," said Mark Chilton, director of the affordable housing nonprofit organization EmPOWERment Inc.

But the provision had support from some board members. "I understand the philosophical thought that we want to build wealth," said Alderman Joal Broun. "But once those houses are created, they appreciate."

Orange County has adopted a similar provision, but the federal government mandates only 40 years of affordability.

"I firmly believe (the 100-year) model is the best model for our community," said Mayor Mike Nelson. "The reason we have 100 years in there is that our attorney said we couldn't do it into perpetuity."

Alderman Mark Dorosin said the entire provision was not enough to lure affordable housing to Carrboro. The town has received only three applications for the bonus in the four districts where the provision applies, and he said the bonus provides little incentive to developers.

The board only brings up affordable housing once a developer has made it through the planning board, amending the developer's plan in the process.

"What I would like to do is figure out a way to make this a stronger incentive," Dorosin said. "We need to get out to developers earlier in the process."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.