Article Misrepresents Steroid Use on Campus And in Recreation Center

It's tough being a big guy. You dedicate yourself to go to the gym six times a week to build muscle, spend hundreds of dollars a year on supplements to speed your growth and eat like a horse to keep your body stocked with fuel to help your muscles grow, only to be ridiculed and grouped with all the steroid pumpers. It's nothing new to me though. I've always been asked if I'm on steroids. It's no big deal.

I'm mainly concerned with the way the writer bad-mouthed the Student Recreation Center in the story, "A Pumped-Up Problem" last week. One of the two cowards, who wanted to remain anonymous, who were interviewed said he estimated that 30 people who work out in the SRC use steroids.

The article then stated that steroid use is a huge problem on campus. Well, first of all, as an employee of the SRC, I don't think there are even that many steroid users who work out in the SRC. Secondly, even if those estimates are correct, it is not a huge problem. The official log book that records how many people come into the SRC daily, reported that an average of 1350 people came in to work out each day last week.

Therefore, the 30 people that the interviewee estimated to be on steroids represent only 2 percent of the people who come into the gym each day. Doesn't sound like a huge problem to me.

I also feel I need to address the statement that people can get steroids at the SRC -- of course you can! You can also buy guns and heroin in the Pit, if you know who to ask. However, the SRC does not condone or promote the usage of steroids in any way. This is just a problem that exists among a few patrons who are not dedicated enough to let nature and hard work take their course.

Chuck Bolibaugh

Junior

Exercise and Sport Science