BOT, Officials To Confer on DPS Budget

The BOT might vote Friday via mail on the DPS's revised budget proposal, which calls for internal cuts.

Members of the BOT Audit, Business and Finance Committee will vote on whether to recommend that the full BOT approve the proposed budget. The full BOT will vote by mail Friday.

The BOT voted March 28 to send the original budget proposal, which included a night parking permit plan, back to Chancellor James Moeser and the vice chancellors who drafted the plan.

Student Body President Jen Daum, who is a voting member of the BOT, said she thinks BOT members will be receptive to the revised proposal.

"The BOT's decision (at the March 28 meeting) affirmed that they do not want a night parking program like the one proposed, and they need a balanced budget," she said. "This does both."

DPS officials announced last week that the new budget proposal would replace the expected revenue from a night parking permit plan by cutting the price UNC pays for Chapel Hill Transit services, eliminating the EU bus route and making internal cuts in DPS's budget.

Daum said she thinks discussion during the teleconference will focus on ensuring that the proposal does not include a night parking permit system, that it balances the DPS' budget and that it does not compromise campus safety.

"The BOT has been very good about checking up and ensuring that the proposal is a good compromise for students, faculty and staff," she said.

Daum said she hopes the committee will recommend that the full BOT approve the budget proposal. She said the support of the committee is crucial.

"When a subcommittee gets in-depth on an issue, their recommendations hold a lot of weight because they become the experts on the issue," she said.

BOT member Richard Stevens said last week that the new proposal will meet the needs of administrators, students, staff and faculty because it eliminates all elements of a night parking permit system and still finds a way to fill the $566,650 deficit.