Budget Cuts Likely To Affect Library System's Operation

The loss of funds could cause a reduction in libraries' hours of operation but would not affect the reopening of the Undergrad.

According to a plan based on 4 percent budget cuts submitted to UNC-system officials earlier this week, the library system stands to lose funding in the next fiscal year, along with faculty and staff positions and summer instruction.

Depending on the severity of the budget cuts, the library system might have to cancel journal subscriptions, buy fewer books and shorten operating hours, Joe Hewitt, director of academic affairs libraries, said Thursday.

Gov. Mike Easley has stressed the importance of protecting instruction despite likely cuts to education, but Hewitt said the library system plays an important role in the University's academic program.

"Libraries are an inherent part of instruction; you can't have instruction or research without strong libraries," he said. "Libraries are considered part of the instructional budget."

The first cuts would be in the library's operational budget, Hewitt said. This would mean, for example, that no new computers or equipment would be purchased for the information commons on Davis Library's first floor. "We would cut hours in Davis and the Undergraduate Library last," Hewitt said.

But it is likely that some night and weekend hours in the nine departmental libraries would be cut back, he said.

Diane Strauss, assistant University librarian for public services, said the fall opening of the newly renovated Undergraduate Library will not be affected by budget problems.

But Strauss said the cuts could affect new programs that had been planned for the library.

The new Undergrad will not be able to offer instruction on information resources and video-editing technology, officials said. "We will have the equipment, but we won't have the expert technicians to give instruction," Hewitt said.

Both student and faculty research also could be hindered by the cuts because many print and electronic journals would no longer be accessible, library officials said.

Hewitt said journal subscriptions and licensing payments for some electronic databases would not be renewed, depending on the depth of cuts.

During a major budget crisis in 1991, the library system also had its funds slashed, Hewitt said. He said the University is still seeing the effects of the cuts in 1991, which put them at a disadvantage in terms of materials and hindered research opportunities.

"In some ways you don't ever recover," he said.

Hewitt said the possible budget cuts' impacts will reverberate for years. Library employees also could be hit hard by budget problems. He said the extent of the effects depends on severity of the cuts.

Hewitt said a mix of student work-study hours, professional staff hours and support staff hours could be cut back, although Hewitt said he hopes filled positions would not be at risk.

"Right now we are not filling any vacant positions so we will have a pool of vacant positions to cut," Hewitt said, "I doubt seriously that we will have to have layoffs."