Building Permit OK Pleases Club Nova, Aldermen

Town officials wanted affordable housing. The nonprofit group Club Nova wanted more space for its mentally ill members. The board took a step to meet both concerns.

After a short review period, the board approved Club Nova's building permit application, clearing the way for a new three-story apartment building for the organization at 103 W. Main St.

The new structure will replace the organization's soon-to-be-demolished eight-unit apartment building and provide 24 single occupancy dwellings for Club Nova members. "You really help define Carrboro, at least for me," Mayor Mike Nelson told Club Nova members, staff and supporters at Tuesday's board meeting. "The work you do is critical."

After the vote, Club Nova officials gathered on the steps of the Carrboro Town Hall. "(The old apartments) have served their purpose," said Club Nova executive director Karen Dunn. "It's now time for us to move forward and have something that's more up to date."

Club Nova was founded in 1987 to provide the county's mentally ill residents with a comfortable place to cook, eat, work and socialize. With the help of local realtor Thomas Whisnant, the organization relocated to its current home in 1992.

Over the next 10 years, membership swelled to 80. Though most members live off site, Club Nova wanted new living facilities for its on-site members that reflected dignity and respect, qualities the club tries to instill in all of its constituents.

In February, the organization asked the board to speed up the review process, and the board responded with an approval less than two months later.

The new units will make a small dent in one of the state's most expensive housing markets. According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the typical North Carolina worker earning the minimum hourly wage of $5.15 has to work 79 hours per week to afford a two-bedroom apartment. But in Orange County, the same must work 113 hours.

Though the board's vote removes the project's municipal hurdle, Club Nova still needs to secure funding from several sources, including the N.C. Housing Finance Agency, before it can start building.

Assuming Sarver and project architect Giles Blunden get the money they need, construction should begin at the end of the year. Ten to 12 months later, Club Nova will have a new home, and Carrboro will have more affordable housing. Blunden said, "I just think it's a project that meets everybody's interests."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.