Campus Y Committee Promotes Human Rights With Events All Week

Globe, a committee sponsored by the Campus Y, will be sponsoring Human Rights Week April 1-5. The group aims to advocate action through awareness. Human Rights Week is an opportunity for the campus to become more aware of different issues that people around the world face.

Events range from a kickoff food fair to discussion sessions with guest speakers. The week starts off Monday in the Pit at 6 p.m. with an international food tasting and show followed by a 7:30 p.m. debate co-sponsored by the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies concerning racial profiling.

A luncheon featuring Frank Wu and the Adopt-a-Minefield program will be Tuesday at 6 p.m. Following this, in the Tate-Turner-Kuralt Building, the Johnston Scholars Program and the School of Social Work will co-sponsor a discussion. The topic will be "Toward Racial Justice: Civil Rights, Hate Crimes and War Time." Directions can be found on the Campus Y Web site at http://campus-y.unc.edu.

Wednesday, in the upper quad, environmental human rights will be discussed 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The documentary, "The Farm: Life Inside an Angola Prison," will be shown at 7 p.m. that night. This event will be co-sponsored by Criminal Justice Action and Awareness.

The Human Rights Fair will be Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Pit, followed by a discussion in the Toy Lounge, co-sponsored by Living with Compassion.

A dinner discussion will occur later in the evening.

Students are welcome to attend all events to learn more about international human rights, a subject that affects everyone.

Human rights is not something that you can easily tackle, but even the smallest action makes a difference. More information can be found on the Campus Y Web site http://campus-y.unc.edu, or contact Nina Poe or Shayerah Ilias at the Campus Y at 962-2333.

Nina Poe

Sophomore

English

Shayerah Ilias

Sophomore

International Studies