Chronically Ill Student Seeks Help in Finding Alternative Housing

My name is Nicole Palermo, a student who will be returning to UNC-CH this coming fall. In the process of coming back, I have encountered a problem which concerns myself and perhaps many other students with chronic disorders or disabilities. Therefore, I have chosen to appeal to those people in the community who have a genuine interest in the rights of the students.

After my freshman year in the 2000-01 terms, I returned home to Charlotte for the summer. I became very ill, due to complications with a chronic disorder that I have had since 1995. I spent over four weeks in the hospital and underwent exhausting medical treatments and therapies. By early August, I was still receiving daily intravenous medications. I was advised by my doctors to take time to fully recuperate before returning to school.

I spoke with a member of my advising team, who told me that there was no formal process for withdrawing from school for a medical purpose once that student has successfully completed a semester. I was told I must withdraw from my classes and go through the re-application process when I was able to return. I am pleased to say that the process was simple and I have been accepted to return.

It is in finding on-campus housing that I have encountered my problem. According to policy, all students who have been readmitted into the University must wait until after current students living on campus and future students coming for their freshman year are contracted for housing to begin the process. I have subsequently been placed in a category with students who elected to live off campus last year and students who were academically ineligible to return to school.

As a result of my compromised health, I require housing that can accommodate my needs. I was told that every effort is made to provide chronically ill or disabled students with appropriate housing. However, as I must be considered after so many other students, I have been advised by Dr. Christopher Payne, director of student housing, to seek alternative housing options because he is unable to guarantee that I will receive housing next semester at all. In fact, due to the extremely large number of freshman who came in last fall, it became necessary to turn away many transfer and readmit students.

I left the school in the spring of 2001 in good academic standing and was very disappointed to have to forgo my return to school the following fall. This was a situation that was beyond my control. I have trouble accepting that chronically ill or disabled students must forfeit their rights to on-campus housing should their condition force them to take a leave from school.

If you have any information that could help me or future students in my position, please pass it on to me. Dr. Payne has told me that I will know by early May if I can have housing at all. As recontracting is currently under way, time is of the essence. I feel that a state-funded institution of education should be able to offer better treatment to chronically ill students like myself. Perhaps if there were a way for very ill students to take a one- or two-semester reprieve from school on the advice of their doctors without losing their seniority, such injustices would not arise. Thank you in advance for whatever you can do to help.

Nicole M Palermo
Undeclared
College Of Arts and Science
The length rule was waived.