Class Aims To Perfect Lobbying

A course beginning Tuesday aims to teach students how to lobby the N.C. General Assembly more effectively.

The course has been designed so that students interested in learning how to be effective at influencing the N.C. General Assembly can now be formally instructed.

Daum said the course will present issues that are relevant now as the University faces budget cuts from the General Assembly.

"During these hard budget times, we need to be as informative as possible to ensure that the state remains committed to higher education," she said.

The course will meet twice a week for three weeks and is open to all students. One hour of credit will be awarded to students who attend five of the six classes.

The classes will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 p.m to 5 p.m. at a place that is yet to be determined.

"Any student is welcome to sit in on any session and come to as many sessions as they want," Daum said.

Political science Professor Thad Beyle will be the course instructor. He is the faculty adviser of "N.C. Student Legislature," a student-run course offered each spring that culminates in students holding a mock legislative session.

Beyle said that after the first lobbying class, he will turn over instruction to speakers recruited by Daum. "It's going to be a student-driven class," he said.

Daum said she has confirmed several speakers, including former Student Body President Nic Heinke and former Graduate and Professional Student Federation President Lee Conner, who both served during the 1999-2000 year.

Conner said he will talk about the issues student lobbyists have faced in the past, the techniques they have used and what has been successful. Both Conner and Heinke were leaders in protesting tuition increases proposed in the 1999-2000 year. "The more prepared students are when they go to the General Assembly, the more success they will have," he said.

Conner said he agreed to participate in the lobbying class because of his lasting interest in student governance. "Anything I can do to help students have a stronger voice in Raleigh I want to."