Columnist's Thoughts On Couples, Terrorism:Are the Two Related?

As I read Johanna Costa's rant concerning America's response to terrorism ("Leading Into Phase 2, No Progress Seen," April 11), I was reminded of the intellectually stimulating column she wrote a couple of weeks ago concerning the psychological mind games humans play via anthropomorphism and pairs of inanimate objects ("Attention All Singles; It's A Conspiracy," March 28).

That column convinced me that subliminal coercion is taking place all around me. Salt and pepper shakers. Left and right hands. Coke and Pepsi. It's been staring me in the face all these years. How blind was I?

So I thought I'd apply this perfectly logical and in no way ridiculously idiotic theory to Johanna's most recent article. The article says "we don't know why" these actions took place, but thanks to Costa's brilliant commentary uncovering society's secret intention to encourage copulation, an understanding of the terrorist attack is close at hand.

You might note that there were two World Trade Center towers destroyed in the attack. Obviously the architects built two towers in an effort to subliminally coerce singles to seek the joy of couple-hood. Surely the terrorist networks at work abroad saw these two buildings as symbolizing America and its reputation as a protector of happy couples. Terrorists are the bitter exes or maybe even the ugly dumpy chicks of this world.

It's a real shame that some foreigners' bitterness toward relationships leads to such violence.

Michael Carlton

Junior

Political Science and Economics