Commissioners Receive Public Support for Satellite Campus at Hearing

With the passage of the $3.1 billion higher education bond referendum in November of 2000, Orange County received $4 million for the establishment of a community college. The commissioners then began to actively investigate the idea of a Durham Tech satellite campus.

Tuesday's hearing was characterized by positive comments and support for the Durham Tech campus by both the public and the commissioners.

After considering what the future could look like for a satellite campus, the commissioners heard a presentation by Pam Baker, a member of the Durham Tech staff, on benefits associated with building a community college campus in the area.

Because 22 percent of the student population at Durham Tech lives in Orange County, Baker pointed out that providing a centralized location closer to home could help these students obtain their education with a shorter commute.

Allen Spalt, a member of the Bond Task Force and a former member of the Carrboro Board of Aldermen, said he agreed with Baker.

"We don't need a sprawling, auto-dependent campus in the county," Spalt said. "A centralized facility with central administration will be a great boost to the county and Durham Tech students."

Commissioner Alice Gordon said she is supportive of the Durham Tech satellite campus and echoed Spalt's concern about a sprawling campus.

"This is a very exciting adventure that we're starting on," Gordon said. "I'm glad that we have looked at how this campus will work together with other educational centers in the county."

The commissioners and Baker emphasized that the introduction of a community college into the area would only strengthen the county without taking interest away from UNC.

Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis said he sees a large need for a community college in the area.

"There are lots of kids who don't have any cheap alternatives to a four-year college," Halkiotis said. "There are huge needs for a community college in this county."

Although concrete plans for the arrival of Durham Tech in Orange County still need to be hammered out, Commissioner Barry Jacobs said the public hearing was a step in the right direction.

"We wanted to solicit public comments and spread our enthusiasm for this project throughout the county," Jacobs said.

"We're ready to go as soon as we figure out how we're going to get there and how we're going to pay for it."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.