Decisions That Affect Students Should Have Student Input

As a senior at UNC, I could simply ignore the issues surrounding tuition hikes because I will not be attending UNC next year; however, I cannot ignore the issue altogether because student input has been absent in the discussions and decision making process. Decisions made at UNC, especially ones that directly concern students, need to have a student's perspective.

A large part of what I have learned as a student at UNC is that individuals, groups and students can make a difference. Is it not a contradiction when our input is only expected and effective in the classroom but has no bearing on matters that affect how and who gets to the classroom?

This is why I cannot readily sit back and watch tuition increase over 150 percent in the next 12 years and wonder how many students lose their chance to a higher education because of costs, or attend UNC as I did while constantly worrying over financial aid.

The Board of Governors has already approved an increase, and it is now up to N.C. General Assembly. Our chance to make a difference and be heard as students is not too late. Come rally today at the Legislative Building on Jones Street in downtown Raleigh at noon and let the General Assembly know that students care, matter and have a voice.

There will be rides leaving the ATMs near Davis Library at 11 a.m., 11:15 a.m. and 11:50 a.m. Education is a right, and although I'm no expert on this issue, I know that a decision made about my education and yours without our input is wrong and needs to be recognized. Come support what is right, and speak out about your education!

Stephanie Chang
Senior
African and Afro-American Studies