Democrats Debate for 1st Time in Front of Full House

Dan Blue, Erskine Bowles, Cynthia Brown and Elaine Marshall participated in a lively debate, discussing their visions for the state's future.

Law students and audience members questioned the candidates on issues ranging from nuclear power to gay rights.

Marshall, the N.C. secretary of state, said a desire to change many aspects of society caused her to pursue a career in politics in an effort to help others.

"I've been on the side of people my entire life," she said.

Marshall said that after her 1996 win over legendary NASCAR driver Richard Petty in the race for secretary of state, she is ready to confront Elizabeth Dole, who is expected to win the Republican nomination for the Senate seat. "Indeed, I wasn't afraid of King Richard, and I'm not afraid of Queen Elizabeth," she said.

Marshall said she is concerned with the growing income disparity between urban and rural regions and wants to continue fighting for farmers and workers. "We need an economic policy that creates jobs for regular people," she said.

Marshall added that the United States should continue to aid feuding countries in the Middle East. "The United States must play an effective and constructive role in the Mideast."

Brown, a former Durham City Council member, said she will focus on assisting the state's workers.

"Public policy must serve -- first and foremost -- the needs of working people," she said.

Brown said tobacco farmers should be encouraged to diversify and that agricultural reforms should be encouraged.

"Farmers are becoming like ... serfs on their own land," she said.

Brown added that corporations must be held accountable for their actions.

"This is still the United States of America, not the United States of Enron," she said.

She added that it is vital to close corporate tax loopholes and to make sure that corporate regulations are enforced.

Brown said the United States' reliance on oil is ultimately dangerous for the nation and that she also opposes a proposed facility in Yucca Mountain, Nevada, to store the nation's nuclear waste.

"Nuclear power should be phased out for issues of cost and safety," she said.

Bowles, who served as chief of staff under former President Clinton, said his experience in Washington, D.C., will help him work for the state's interests in Congress. "I'm running because I truly feel that I can make a positive difference," he said. "I won't need an orientation program."

Bowles said he would work for small businesses, pointing toward his 30-year career as an investment banker and his term as head of the Small Business Administration from 1993-94.

Bowles also said he would not support any additional free-trade legislation until existing agreements are enforced.

Bowles said he supports a tobacco buyout to aid the farmers of the state and also backs a farm bill in Congress that would fund agricultural research and development.

"U.S. tobacco is simply not competitive in the global market today."

Blue, a Democratic representative from Wake County and former N.C. House speaker, said his status as the only candidate who has served in the N.C. General Assembly sets him apart from his opposition.

He said his background in rural North Carolina echoes that of many of the state's citizens. "My story is North Carolina's story in so many ways," Blue said.

He said he wants to continue improving the condition of public schools, stressing the need to raise teacher salaries statewide.

Blue said he opposes fast-track legislation that would encourage multilateral trade negotiations similar to the North American Free Trade Agreement, which he said cost the state many jobs.

"We have to support trade policies that support (the people) of North Carolina," he said.

Blue has criticized Bowles' past support of NAFTA. He said, "We need to elect someone who has good instincts to support working people, not the ability to come back and ask forgiveness."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.