DPS Jurisdiction Decision Delayed

Monday's decision followed a Feb. 25 meeting when the council was undecided about the UNC-CH Board of Trustees' request to extend, on a limited basis, University police's enforcement jurisdiction.

University police now have jurisdiction on streets adjoining campus and are only able to arrest suspects off campus who are fleeing the scene of on-campus crimes.

For all other off-campus activities, University police are required to be accompanied by a Chapel Hill police officer.

The resolution proposed by the BOT would give University police officers jurisdiction to follow up crimes committed on campus and serve warrants at the magistrate's office rather than requesting the Chapel Hill Police Department's assistance.

After hearing comments from two Chapel Hill residents, council member Mark Kleinschmidt proposed that at the next meeting in May, the council separately vote on the extended jurisdiction for serving warrants at the magistrate's office and off-campus follow-ups for on-campus crimes.

But Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies said University police need extended jurisdiction for follow-ups on on-campus crimes more than they need freedom to serve warrants.

"A greater percentage of the workload goes to following up crimes committed on campus," he said.

Council member Pat Evans said that the council is taking time to discuss the proposal because residents will be affected and that they should be given the chance to voice their concerns.

"Some people didn't like the idea of campus police having authority in town, and some people just wanted more information," Evans said.

Derek Poarch, UNC-CH director of public safety, said that only three residents have complained about his officers in 40 months and that on-campus police would be under careful observation.

"I recommend producing a monthly report to keep the council up to date on the actions of on-campus police officers," Poarch said.

Town Manager Cal Horton said that if the proposal is approved, residents would still have an outlet for their concerns at Town Council meetings.

"A citizen might question the authority of an officer, and if that results in unfavorable actions, it would be reported to the council," Horton said.

Poarch said he thinks there is no difference between Chapel Hill police officers and on-campus police officers.

"Our department is accredited," Poarch said. "And we are the only accredited college campus police in the UNC system."

Poarch also mentioned other campus police forces that have been given extended jurisdiction in the state.

Council member Flicka Bateman said she is in favor of the resolution because it would make the police system run more smoothly.

"I think it makes sense," Bateman said. "We don't need Chapel Hill policing the campus police, which is what they're doing now."

The council finally approved a motion to delay the discussion until the next meeting.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.