DPS Plan Heads to BOT Vote

A committee has approved a Department of Public Safety budget plan without a night parking system.

Trustees on the committee voted 4-0, with one absence, on the plan in a brief teleconference at South Building.

Voting yes were committee Chairman Jim Hynes, Vice Chairman Nelson Schwab, Rusty Carter and Paul Fulton. Vice Chairman Hugh McColl was not present. The full BOT will vote on the proposal by a mail ballot that will be sent to members today.

The plan, which would go into effect Aug. 15, spells out how the DPS will recover the $566,650 that a night parking program would have raised.

On March 28, the BOT rejected a plan by UNC administrators that would have charged students and faculty for nighttime permits and extended the pay hours of Swain and Morehead parking lots.

The new proposal makes up more than $150,000 by eliminating the on-campus EU bus route and more than $40,000 through internal changes at the DPS.

Because of cost-cutting measures taken by Chapel Hill Transit, UNC also will save about $370,000 in its payment to the town's transportation service.

Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration, said the transit savings relieved a long budget process. "They had some good news for us -- the timing couldn't have been better."

To compensate for the remainder of the deficit, a plan to increase rates for day parking permits in the original proposal remained in the altered recommendation. The proposal also includes gating several campus lots, a move campus officials say will cut down enforcement costs.

Suttenfield said a small working group of students and faculty devised the plan approved today.

There was no opposition voiced by committee members or members of the full body, who stayed after the meeting for a closed session with the University's General Counsel Susan Ehringhaus.

BOT members said they were pleased that all campus constituencies supported the revised proposal.

"I think we've made a good compromise," said Trustee Richard Stevens, a vocal opponent of the original plan.

Student Body President Jen Daum, at her first BOT meeting as a voting member, said her Cabinet supports the administration's new proposal. "Students are very happy with it," she said.

BOT Chairman Tim Burnett asked Suttenfield if the committee would begin drafting a more long-term proposal for transportation and parking at UNC.

Suttenfield said the committee will take the lead in drafting a comprehensive plan.

"(The committee's) charge will be to develop a five-year parking package to bring back to the board."