Former UNC Student Dies In Carrboro

David T. Borman, who last attended UNC during fall 2001, died Wednesday morning, but the cause of his death is still unknown.

Both the cause and exact time of death have yet to be determined.

At 11:16 a.m. Wednesday, the first ambulance from Orange County Emergency Management Services responded to a 911 call from 105 BPW Club Road, Apt. B, in Carrboro.

David T. Borman, 21, of 1000 Smith Level Road, Apt. K8, was found unconscious and then pronounced dead Wednesday morning, said EMS Director Nick Waters.

Borman attended Fayetteville Academy, a college preparatory school, before enrolling at UNC, said Frank Till, Upper School director for the academy.

There, Borman played soccer and participated in various other activities.

According to University registrar reports, Borman was last enrolled at UNC in fall 2001 but was not enrolled for the spring 2002 semester. He was a sophomore majoring in communication studies. It is not known if Borman planned to attend UNC in the fall.

Gerry Brown, administrative assistant and family friend of Krzyzewski, said the family met Thursday afternoon to discuss handling the tragedy.

"He was a great kid," Brown said. "He comes from a caring and loving family. He was the kind of kid who treasured friendships."

Dr. Thomas Clark of the Orange County Medical Examiner's office said an autopsy was performed and tests were conducted.

Clark would not specify what types of tests were performed.

"We won't have a cause of death for as many as several weeks," Clark said Thursday.

According to Carrboro police reports, the police department assisted Orange County EMS with the incident and the matter is still under investigation. Carrboro Police Capt. Joel Booker said no information is being released at this time.

Waters said EMS officials responded after getting a phone call from someone who identified himself as Borman's roommate.

"We got the call from a roommate who had come in and said there was something wrong with his roommate, that he was unconscious," Waters said. "When we got there, (Borman) was confirmed to be deceased."

The body was then taken to the medical examiner's office.

Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.