Honor Court Sees More Drug Cases

Officials attribute the increase to more cases being reported to the court, not more student drug use.

Drug-related cases brought to the Honor Court's attention are up 311 percent from last year. There were nine drug cases during the 2000-01 academic year and 37 cases so far this academic year.

Of the cases reported so far this year, 20 students have been charged by the Honor Court.

David Gilbert, assistant dean of students, said the Honor Court does not press charges when officials decide that the case is outside their jurisdiction or when there is insufficient evidence.

Officials said they think that there was about the same amount of drug use by students both years but that more incidents are being reported this year to the Honor Court.

"I think that is not necessarily a spike in use but an improvement in the reporting process," Gilbert said.

Gilbert said officials are working to foster close relationships with Chapel Hill, Carrboro and University police departments to ensure that all incidents involving UNC students are reported to the Honor Court.

Dean of Students Melissa Exum said that communication with area police departments has increased this year and that she believes it will continue to improve in the future.

Exum said that University officials meet with police regularly and that police send summaries of all arrests and incidents involving University students to the Honor Court as quickly as possible.

The Student Attorney General's Office has the jurisdiction to charge students for off-campus drug use, but it usually only exercises that jurisdiction if hard drugs -- such as cocaine, heroin or LSD -- are involved, Gilbert said.

Gilbert said most of this year's 37 drug incidents occurred on campus.

Student Attorney General Amanda Spillman also said she does not believe there has been a rise in drug use on campus.

She said the rise in the number of cases is due to increased communication not only with police but also with housing officials, who are working to make reporting cases an easier process.

Exum said resident assistants and area directors in the residence halls and in Granville Towers are working to identify the signs of drug use.

She said improved attention and training among RAs will lead to more incidents of drug use being reported.

Gilbert also said that sometimes another department of the University -- like the Department of Housing and Residential Education -- can take actions against the student and the attorney general will choose not to press charges.

Housing Director Christopher Payne said the increase in the number of reported drug incidents is evidence that the training for RAs and ADs is paying off. "This is an indication that our staff is more aware and educated about what to look for and how to respond."