Kiss Me, Kill Me, Ask Me About Canada

And join the ranks we did -- Space Camp Canada opened up in 1994. Oh, let me tell you, Canada was brimming with pride that year. Plans were in the works for "Space Camp 2: The Electric Boogaloo" soon after, but let's be honest, it wouldn't have been as totally awesome as the original.

Yes, it's always seemed that Canada's place on the world scene has been like Vanessa on "The Cosby Show" -- fun to have around to advance storylines but for the most part, largely expendable and mostly ignored.

Every once in a while, there's an interesting story or two like the time Vanessa got a bad grade on her history test because she was studying with her boyfriend but not really studying and instead goofing off. But in the end, when naming the cast of characters on "The Cosby Show," you're going to inevitably forget her name because, well, she didn't matter.

Well, Vanessa didn't seem to matter. In reality, we probably forget her name the most because we knew the least about her -- and so it is with Canada. With the semester dying down and all, what better time for a little 411 on America's top trading partner? And to make it more interesting, I'll use questions I've had knowledge-seeking Americans ask me.

Q: Well, I've got some questions about Canadia and --

A: Canadia? Damn it, it's Canada. Get that through your thick skull, you stupid waste of --

Q: Woah, OK. Got it, got it. Canada. Well, where is Canada?

A: The United States and Canada share the longest undefended border in the world, spanning 8,893 kilometers (1 kilometer = 0.621371 miles). Canada is also humorously referred to as "the Great White North." This might give you a hint as to where Canada is, but in case you are still not sure, think "the country that borders the United States that is not Mexico."

Q: So, I have a friend from Canada, maybe you know him --

A: Next question.

Q: Um ... Name one good thing that has ever come out of Canada.

A: Where do I begin? Mike Myers, the Canadarm, basketball, Neve Campbell, the electron microscope, insulin, the pacemaker, Jim Carrey, the zipper, the walkie-talkie, Matthew Perry, Trivial Pursuit, the telephone, Keanu Reeves ...

Q: Keanu Reeves? He's an awesome actor! Do you remember that really cool scene in "The Matrix" when Keanu says, "I know kung fu," and Morpheus is like, "Show me," and then all of a sudden they're in a dojo whipping each other's ass with totally sweet pump-up music playing?

A: Yes.

Q: Well, is Canada like that?

A: Even better.

Q: Hey, say the word a-b-o-u-t.

A: Screw off.

Q: I heard that Canada has a really dumb president.

A: Half true. We have a really dumb prime minister, named Jean Chr