Local Organizations Host Discussion on Terrorism

Sunday's speak-out included bluegrass music, pamphlets and an anti-war game show called "You're in Jeopardy."

Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, a UNC organization that includes students, faculty and community members, hosted the event with Peace First and North Carolinians for Alternatives to War.

The stage was set for political discussion with about 100 residents, ranging from toddlers to grandparents, enjoying lunch on the lawn and listening to the bluegrass music provided by the campaign before the speak-out began.

The campaign kicked off the event with a round of "You're in Jeopardy," an antiwar quiz show with categories like "Dissing Dissidents" and "Domestic Bliss."

Dave Lippman, a local resident and UNC alumnus, played a sarcastic Alex Trebek.

"We're just trying to get people to feel like they can have a discussion about war," Lippman said.

"Often in wartime freedoms are the first thing to go."

The game was followed by more serious discussion of the issues surrounding the United States' war on terrorism.

Howie Machtinger, a member of the campaign and master of ceremonies for the day's events, centered discussion on the problems associated with the war.

"We're here today not to disturb everyone's lunch but because we want to find grassroots ways to disrupt the political conversation," Machtinger said.

Phil Jones, pastor at Peace Covenant Church, spoke as a representative of North Carolinians for Alternatives to War about the destination of U.S. tax dollars.

Audience members who didn't want to participate in the discussion were encouraged to visit the tables set up with pamphlets, which were fortified against the wind with rocks and tape.

An hour into the event, the stage opened for residents to give their own opinions about the war, and a few who had braved the slight spattering of rain joined in the discussion.

Aku-nna Hinton, 12, was accompanied to the microphone by her mother, Alyssa Hinton, to give her take on the conflict.

"I think America has been bullying those countries like Afghanistan, and the only way they could make a statement was by bombing the twin towers," Aku-nna said. "If we could help (Afghanistan), I think both countries could come together."

Collin Lee, a junior environmental science major at UNC, spoke out about the importance of being educated about issues surrounding the war.

"Investigating systems that are perpetuating violence is the only way to end violence," Lee said.

"I just came out to enjoy the weather, but I thought it was a great opportunity to express one's thoughts."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.