Local Ronald McDonald House to Reopen Doors, Serve More Children and Families

The house, located at 101 Old Mason Farm Road in Chapel Hill, was established in April 1998 as a halfway home for needy families with severely injured and ill children.

Through the house, those in need can obtain meals, shuttles to the hospital and even small money donations to help alleviate the stress associated with medical bills and hospital life.

Jenny Foster, house director of development, said the $1.2 million renovation and refurbishing process was necessary because the waiting list is extremely long.

Foster said the house had to turn down a large number of families, making it hard for the group to do its job.

"In 1999 alone we had to turn down over 500 families," Foster said.

After recognizing the need for the house to develop, area towns and volunteers from the house collaborated on several fund-raising drives, saved funds and received large grants to help realize their goal of expansion.

All of the work paid off in the recent $1.2 million dollar expansion and refurbishment that created 50 percent more occupancy for the house and improved the existing facilities.

With its recently added space, the house hopes to better serve more families outside of the Triangle.

"Families living in a 50-mile radius of Chapel Hill are asked to give up a spot to children who are forced to commute a long distance to get to the hospital," Foster said.

Noting the importance of the house to children outside of Chapel Hill, Mayor Kevin Foy declared April 13 the first official "Ronald McDonald House Day in Chapel Hill."

On Saturday, Foy, along with other special guests, will celebrate the final realization of the expansion project with volunteers and residents of the Ronald McDonald House.

The community is encouraged to attend the festivities lasting from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., and Foster added that the house will formally thank Chapel Hill residents for their support.

"We try to provide a home for these children," Foster said.

"Without help from the surrounding communities, our help couldn't be a possibility."

Foster said the home ideally functions as a support system for all kinds of people going through hard times.

"Besides just a place to stay, we also provide support for the patients and their families when they need it the most."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.