Man Charged With Stalking at UNC Pleads Not Guilty

Samuel Ferebee, 62, of 130 E-8 S. Estes Drive, was arrested by University police March 27 and charged with two counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of stalking.

The charges stem from an incident in which Ferebee allegedly put his hands on a Duke University student's shoulders and back while the student was on UNC's campus. University Police Chief Derek Poarch said the acts constituted simple assault. Poarch said Ferebee then allegedly invited the student to walk down a hallway with him, which resulted in the charge of stalking.

At the hearing today, a Hillsborough judge continued Ferebee's trial for the UNC incident to June 3 because the alleged victim did not appear in court.

Afterward, Ferebee and his attorney Glenn Veit told reporters that Ferebee still should a right to visit campus.

"We are going to vigorously defend these charges that have been filed against him, and he hopes to continue to exercise his constitutional rights to take advantage of the intellectual and cultural experiences that are offered at the University of North Carolina and on other public properties that are also available to anyone who pays taxes and is a citizen and resident of North Carolina, like Mr. Ferebee," Veit said.

Ferebee said the charges against him were just a misunderstanding.

"If anyone has a problem with my immediate presence, my conversation with them or any action -- however unintended it may be -- that may cause anyone apprehension or discomfort, all they simply have to do is inform me of the problem they have, and I will be more than glad to apologize to them and leave their immediate proximity," Ferebee said.

Veit also contested a notice that the Orange County Sheriff's Department served to Ferebee that banned him from all property owned and leased by Orange County. A sheriff's deputy said that the notice would be posted on all county buildings and that Ferebee will be arrested for trespassing if he violates the order.

Ferebee already had a trespassing order against him at UNC, which prohibited him from attending anything other than public events. The order was amended after the March 27 incident to prevent him from attending all events on campus.

A similar provision allowed Duke police to arrest him when he came on campus April 19. Police charged Ferebee with one count of resist, delay and obstruct of an officer, for which he will appear May 27 in a Durham County court.