Nursing School Breaks Ground

The addition, slated to be built between fall 2002 and spring 2005, is the first new building for the nursing school since Carrington Hall replaced the original School of Nursing Building in 1970.

The 69,350-square-foot facility will house 23 new laboratories and research spaces, 15 conference rooms, 94 offices and a 175-seat auditorium.

Half of the financial support came from funds from the $3.1 billion higher education capital improvements bond passed in November 2000. The rest came from private donations and University funds and loans.

Cheers rose up from the crowd when Carolyn White London, a nursing school alumna, announced that the class of 1956 had donated $340,000 to the facility, with all 20 members of the class contributing.

University administrators said they are excited about the possible benefits of the new building.

"Our new addition will enable the school to expand its programs in the direction it needs to serve the state of North Carolina," said Linda Cronenwett, dean of the School of Nursing.

Cronenwett said the nursing school's enrollment growth during its 52-year history has forced the school to expand its instructional facilities. "Today we expand for the same reason in 1968 -- because we have no room," Cronenwett said.

During his ceremonial address, Chancellor James Moeser said students from UNC's nursing school have provided the state with quality health care since its inception. "Carolina nurses put a human face on excellence in health care," Moeser said. "Health care is dramatically better today in North Carolina than it was 50 years ago, when the school was founded."

Moeser said N.C. citizens should be commended for approving the bond package with more than 70 percent of the vote. "It's very important, first, that we thank the people of North Carolina for voting overwhelmingly 'yes' for the bond issue," he said.

Moeser also thanked the school's past and present faculty, staff and students for their dedication. "You have made this school what it is," he said.

Susan Pierce, a professor at the nursing school and president-elect of the N.C. Nurses Association, noted that the state has been and continues to be at the forefront in nursing education.

She said the first registered nurse in the nation graduated from Rex Hospital's program in Raleigh and that North Carolina was home to the first board of nursing. "Nurses and all future patients salute this school and offer our heartiest congratulations today," Pierce said.

Margaret Ferguson Raynor, chairwoman of the School of Nursing Foundation's board of directors, also commended the school for its stellar reputation. "This is an exciting day," she said.

Physically breaking ground were two former deans, Laurel Archer Copp and Cynthia Freund; representatives from students, faculty and staff; members of the foundation's board and major donors to the project.

Speakers at the event said the state will continue to benefit from the new building for years to come.

Moeser said, "Today we break ground on a building that will carry Carolina nursing into the future."

The University Desk can be reached at udesk@unc.edu.