Officials Downplay Visa Policy's Effects

The new policy, announced last week by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, stipulates that foreign students must obtain a student visa before they can begin their coursework in the United States.

In the past, foreign students could start school with only a tourist or business visa, as long as they already had applied for a student visa.

Once they enrolled at a U.S. university, they could obtain a visa.

But University officials maintain that because the admissions process for international students follows the same timeline as the normal admissions process, these students will have plenty of time to file for a student visa under the new regulations before they come to Chapel Hill.

"I don't expect that the law is going to affect us at all," said Jean Hughes, associate director of the International Center.

"So far, we do not see fewer students applying."

Hughes said UNC graduate school departments also have pushed back their admissions deadlines to give applicants more time to work on obtaining a student visa.

She said each department was advised to send acceptance letters by April 1.

Jane Gabin, senior assistant director of undergraduate admissions, said acceptance letters for undergraduate international students were sent out at the beginning of April, in accordance with a timeline that gives each student the entire summer to apply for a student visa.

Gabin said her office typically receives about 500 applications a year for 50 open spots, a number she said has not decreased this year.

Hughes said the overall wait to obtain a student visa can vary from a few days to a few months depending on the nationality of the applicant because each consul sets its own visa policy.

But Gabin, who works as the director of international admissions, said many international students apply for early decision in the fall, giving them additional time to make student visa requests.

"Many of these students come from international prep schools," Gabin said.

"They have guidance counselors encouraging them to get their applications out early."

The new regulations were prompted by growing concerns from federal officials that potential terrorists could enter the country on tourist visas -- which are easier to obtain than most other types of visas -- and extend their stay by applying for a student visa.

In addition to providing assistance to students contending with the new visa policy, Gabin said the International Center has taken extra measures to ensure that international students at UNC do not feel threatened while at school.

She said she has already spoken at length with one Middle Eastern applicant who was concerned about her safety while attending school in the United States.

Gabin said the student decided to attend UNC after learning of the support available through the International Center, which she said offers a summer orientation session to make international students feel welcome and can also help those students apply for student visas.

"The international center is already helping them file their visa requests," Gabin said.

"The whole international team at UNC is working very hard to make sure these students are taken care of."