Officials Urge Faculty to Fight Cuts

Speakers at the meeting specifically focused their concerns on how the University will be directly impacted by the state budget deficit, which is estimated to amount to more than $1 billion.

"I realize that all of us are feeling a great deal of stress and anxiety about what we don't know and what we fear," said Chancellor James Moeser in his opening remarks. "The more news we hear from the state, the greater cause we have for concern."

Moeser emphasized looking at the long-term potential of the University when dealing with short-term budget cuts. He cited the Horace Williams tract -- a parcel of land owned by the University -- as the prime example of UNC-Chapel Hill's untapped potential.

Moeser invited the Faculty Council to become engaged in the process of developing the tract, which he said will now be referred to as "Carolina North."

Finding alternative sources of funding and collaborating with other universities were both presented by administrators at the meeting as ways to deal with the budget cuts.

N.C. State University Chancellor Marye Anne Fox spoke at the meeting about the possibility of UNC-CH and N.C. State sharing research facilities and academic resources.

"In this time of a budget crisis, we must recognize that cooperation is vital," Fox said. "We don't compete with each other, we go forward together."

Fox also spoke on the subject of receiving additional funding from federal grants and private contributions, a suggestion Moeser endorsed.

Moeser said his conversations with Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, have convinced him that increasing private funding will improve the University's chances of receiving greater allocations from the state.

Provost Robert Shelton said representatives from the governor's office have asked UNC-CH to prepare for a 4 percent to 5 percent budget cut for next fall. Shelton said the reduction would likely force UNC-CH to revert between $120 million and $240 million in state funds.

Shelton said that he plans to lobby the state legislature this summer to maximize the flexibility UNC-CH officials will have in dealing with the cut but that such a shortfall will probably result in the loss of funding for unfilled faculty positions. "This is a long and difficult process," Shelton said. "We need to be in this with stamina."

Little discussion and no debate took place at the meeting, which was one of the few Faculty Council meetings of the year to adjourn early.

But Faculty Council Chairwoman Sue Estroff urged faculty members to exert pressure on University administrators and state legislators when budget decisions are made. "I ask that you speak out, stand up and be heard," she said. "Resignation for us is defeat."

The council also unanimously approved a resolution to revise the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance to make the document easier to use and amend. The revisions were recommended by student government in March and by the Committee on Student Conduct earlier this month.