One Photo Not Enough; Celebration Week Needs More Coverage by DTH

I am, once again, disappointed in The Daily Tar Heels' lack of coverage of gay issues. This week is Celebration Week, a week full of events celebrating the LGBTQ community, although I doubt many DTH readers know anything of these events. In fact, the only mention of Celebration Week was a small picture of the QNC-sponsored drag show in Wednesday's paper.

But gays and Celebration Week deserve more attention than one photo. The drag show in particular was a huge event. The evening began with a date auction benefiting the newly formed GLBT-Straight Alliance. The group's members were auctioned off as dates for the drag show. The drag show itself featured nine amateur acts and six professionals. The show was a huge success, selling standing-room-only tickets and lasting 2 1/2 hours! But none of these facts, nor the political, social, or personal statements inherent in the gender-bending performances, were covered by the DTH.

Celebration Week will continue Thursday at noon in Polk Place with "Linking Together for Change: Allies Speak Out." Speakers, including Professor Chuck Stone and Professor Pamela Conover, will speak on the importance of allies in making the UNC community safer and more accepting of all students. I sincerely hope the DTH takes this opportunity to explore and cover issues facing LGBTQ life. We are not invisible!

Drew McLelland

Senior

Business