Police Close On-Campus Assault Case

Two other on-campus cases, one armed robbery and one sexual assault, reported this semester are unresolved.

University police Capt. Mark McIntyre said Monday that the assault victim positively identified the assailant as an acquaintance and decided not to press charges.

The incident, reported March 22, involved an 18-year-old female student who was attacked at about 2:30 a.m. while walking alone to her residence hall from Franklin Street.

The student reported being forced to the ground near Alumni Hall before blacking out. She said she was covered in bruises and scratches when she awoke an hour later.

At the time the incident was reported, University Police Chief Derek Poarch said the victim had been "clearly sexually assaulted." Police never described the incident as rape, but it was considered a sexual assault.

Two other recent assault cases are still unresolved. An armed robbery occurred at 9 p.m. Jan. 19 in Coker Arboretum.

A second assault occurred March 20, when a 21-year-old female student reported being sexually assaulted while she was working in the Morehead Planetarium Parking Lot. Reports state that a man approached the student and spoke briefly to her in Spanish before touching her chest and pelvic areas.

The cases are still under investigation, though police have pursued several leads.