Reader Praises Article, Emphasizes Importance Of Issue's Awareness

First, I would like to commend The Daily Tar Heel for spending the time and energy to report on such a touchy subject as Wendell Williamson.

Even seven years later he still seems to be a taboo topic, and telling his side of the story took quite a bit of daring on the part of the DTH.

Mental illness is still sadly very stigmatized in our society, and much needs to be done to raise awareness of treatment programs so that those in need can get proper, affordable care.

I do want to note however, that "most mentally ill patients" do not just go off their medications because they've "deemed themselves well enough" as Ms. Dixon reported in "Doctors Describe Dangers of Leaving Schizophrenia Untreated."

While that situation is often the case, other times there are the cruel side effects of psychotropic drugs to blame for stopping medications.

Often the dizziness, headaches, nausea, clouded thoughts or countless other side effects are too heavy a burden to bear. It can sometimes take weeks or longer for the symptoms of the illness to take return after a medication has been stopped.

And, often a patient is not on one but a "cocktail" of countless medications that can also be burdensome to patient trying to resume a "normal" life.

It is true, no one medication fits all and it is very important for a patient to stay on their medications and to keep in close contact with a doctor to monitor their progress. But the public must also become more aware, especially because the mentally ill are a part of the public.

Courtney Mabeus

Senior

Journalism and Mass Communication

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide