Renovations Remain on Schedule

Officials say congestion around the Undergrad -- prompted by renovation of the building -- likely will continue at least until the beginning of the fall semester, when the library is scheduled to reopen.

But Leah McGinnis, spokeswoman for the Undergrad project, said the renovations are running on schedule. The Undergrad was closed for complete renovation Dec. 19, 2000.

McGinnis said that if all goes well, the library will reopen in August in time for the fall semester, although a specific reopening date has not been determined.

The fencing near Greenlaw is now in place because construction crews are in the process of applying finishing touches inside the building and are beginning the process of landscaping the library's exterior, she said.

McGinnis said exterior landscaping, including the placement of trees, brickwork, exterior seating and walls, necessitated widening the fenced-off area between the Undergrad and Greenlaw.

"The fences were moved outward in order to ensure the safety of pedestrians walking through the area," she said.

McGinnis said the fences would likely remain in place until June.

Once all exterior work and interior construction is complete, which is projected for June, McGinnis said, workers will begin moving in the library's furniture, books and supplies.

But in the meantime, students say the construction is creating several inconveniences for them.

Freshman Eric Harris said the effects of the construction, especially the fencing, have been frustrating.

"The fences make it harder to move around and get to class, especially in the mornings and at lunchtime," Harris said. "The fences only increase the overcrowding in the area."

Harris said he is excited about the construction nearing an end. "It will be much more convenient when the renovations are completed."

McGinnis said officials recognize that the positioning of the fencing could pose a few minor problems.

But she stressed that the fences are a necessary safety measure and that there are alternative routes available to students and faculty, citing as an example the steps next to the Student Union, which reopened in January.

"We realize that the fencing creates a bit of a bottleneck, but we anticipate that the opening of the stairways at the Union will help alleviate that traffic."