Residents Voice Views On Transit

Representatives from three different local groups gave presentations about the state of area transportation.

The forum was designed to evaluate the system's effects and gauge residents' opinions about transportation issues.

On Jan. 2, fare-free busing arrived in Chapel Hill, offering residents a free transportation alternative.

Representatives from Chapel Hill Transit, the Triangle Transit Authority and the University made presentations during the forum on how the introduction of fare-free busing is affecting each group.

David Bonk made the presentation for Chapel Hill Transit and highlighted the recent success of fare-free busing in extending transit services throughout the area.

"Our number of daily service hours have increased very substantially," Bonk said.

"Now that everything is free, we have spread out the demand for riding while maintaining significant ridership on each route."

Bonk said Chapel Hill Transit's future plans include building park-and-ride lots on N.C. 54 and on Jones Ferry Road.

Triangle Transit Transportation Planner John Tallmadge also said he is pleased with the effect of fare-free busing on the company. But Tallmadge said some improvements still are needed.

"We're fallible people," Tallmadge said. "We recognize that there are some improvements we need to make."

Debbie Freed, UNC's transportation coordinator, presented information during the forum about the Commuter Alternative Program, which is designed to reward people who explore alternate means of transportation, including cycling, mass transportation and car pooling.

"We're all in this together," Freed said. "It's time for people to start looking for ways to see how they can become the solution."

After the presentations by each representative, eight Chapel Hill residents voiced their transportation concerns.

Although there were some individual complaints about complicated bus schedules and route information, most Chapel Hill residents said they are overall pleased with the results of fare-free busing.

Transportation Board Chairman Loren Hintz said the information the public provided at the forum was invaluable in determining future transportation plans.

"This information will be used in making decisions in several important areas," Hintz said.

Chapel Hill resident Marcia Decker said she is pleased with the transportation services that were represented at the forum.

"I've got a lot of praise for the Chapel Hill Transit system," Decker said.

"They maintain a strong connection with the community through their responsive and necessary feedback system."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.