Several Groups Raising Money for Local Rape Crisis Center on April 9

A woman is raped every two minutes. In 2000, there were 2,181 rapes reported in North Carolina. This campus is not exempt from these statistics.

In the last month alone, two students on our campus have reported a sexual assault. In light of the attacks in the last month, it is comforting to know that there are organizations in the area that are there to help all victims. Students now have an opportunity to help a center that gives back to the community.

The Orange County Rape Crisis Center is a 24-hour rape crisis center that offers free, confidential services to students and the community. It also runs a hotline to support those who might not feel comfortable talking face to face with a counselor.

The OCRCC depends on the outreach of the community to make sure it can continue to be a significant part of Orange County.

At 7 p.m. on April 9, Theta Nu Xi multicultural sorority Inc. will be hosting Sherehe, an annual benefit concert, in the Great Hall in the Student Union. There will be free food, door prizes and performances by many campus groups including Carolina Style and Zeta Phi Beta sorority Inc. Admission to the event is absolutely free, but donations are greatly appreciated and encouraged. All of the donations received will go to benefit the OCRCC. The entire campus and community is invited to this event to raise not only money but also awareness for the OCRCC. It's just another example of how much students can take part in doing good for the community in which they live.

Desiree Downs
Junior
Journalism and Mass Communication