Show Aims to Step Up Awareness

Step teams from six universities throughout the Southeast convened in Carmichael Auditorium for the show, hosted by DJ Amos Quick of 102 JAMZ.

The teams, fielded by National Pan Hellenic Council organizations, competed in front of more than 3,000 spectators.

Ralph Mensah, Greek Freak 2002 coordinator, said the 13 members of Mu Zeta planned all year for the event in an effort to raise HIV/AIDS awareness.

Teams used a variety of props and costumes to ornament their performances. The University of Florida team donned blindfolds and swung swords as part of its act, while the Winston-Salem State University sorority adopted an '80s theme, complete with halter tees and stonewashed jeans.

Judges evaluated teams on both style and technical skills.

The Delta Sigma Theta sorority team from Duke University took first place, and the top-rated fraternity step team came from Florida's chapter of Iota Phi Theta.

Spirits remained high even within the competitive atmosphere, with Greek audience members cheering loudly for the teams that represented their organizations. During the intermission, impromptu performances crowded the stage area.

Mensah said that even though only six of the nine UNC Pan Hellenic Council Greek organizations participated in the invitational, the competition still improved performance quality. "The stepping was of high caliber," he said.

Brad Picot, Mu Zeta's coordinator of Project Alpha, said the event's focus on HIV/AIDS awareness was integral to the fraternity's mission. The Center for Healthy Student Behaviors helped Mu Zeta design a campaign to raise awareness about AIDS prevention.

"AIDS: Get to Steppin'" was the second campaign funded by a grant from the American College Health Association, said Marcie Fisher, the center's advocacy and diversity coordinator.

"It's part of a national effort to increase knowledge within African-American and Latino communities on college campuses about HIV," she said.

Fisher said the first event was a basketball tournament for middle school students held this past fall. She said the second objective of the grant was infusing awareness through Greek Freak.

"It's really about students talking to students about HIV," she said. "It's a much more powerful message."

Picot said he thought the student-to-student awareness campaign was successful. "I think the audience appreciated that we were trying to make that effort," he said.

Although service was a focus for coordinators, the step shows remained the center of attention for many of the people in the audience, including East Carolina University student Wynter Tolliver.

She said, "It's good to see different fraternities and sororities from all over come together and share their unique abilities and accomplishments."